Weddings and Other Ceremonies of Significance
Trained and sponsored by the Canadian Unitarian Council, we respect all faith traditions and will be happy to work with you to reflect your own religious background, if you wish to do so. If you prefer an entirely non-religious ceremony, we can offer you a choice of many beautiful secular readings, vows and selections of poetry.
We enjoy working with engaged couples to help you create the perfect ceremony to express your relationship, your individuality and your decision to marry. Each couple is unique and we recognize that no one template ceremony will work for all couples. We look forward to offering you suggestions and guidance to help craft a ceremony that celebrates your love and hopes for the future on your Big Day.
You can be sure that we will include all legal requirements as well as your special requests to design a ceremony that you will enjoy and remember for the rest of your lives.
For a wedding, our role includes up to two meetings to become acquainted and plan a personalized service. We provide many resources to help plan a ceremony that recognizes and honours your traditions and values.
On your wedding day:
- Officiate at your service;
- Sign the register and licence along with the wedding couple and two witnesses;
- Keep a record of the marriage;
- Send your marriage licence to the Registry Office.
We respect diversity and believe that legal marriage should be available for all. Unitarians have celebrated same sex unions for more than 30 years, and have been on the leading edge to make legal marriage available to everyone.
Funerals or Memorial Services
For a funeral or memorial service, many people find themselves without a Minister or Officiant at the time of a death. KUF Lay Chaplains are available to meet with the bereaved to plan and conduct a meaningful service, at a location of your choice.
- Marriage: $300. (travel outside the city & rehearsals are extra.)
- Memorial or Funeral: $300.
- Child Naming: $200.
- Other rites of passage: On request.
For more details, click on Cost of a Ceremony. A portion of these fees go to the Kingston Unitarian Fellowship.
Locations for Services
The services may be held in a location of your choice:
- in your home, a park, backyard garden
- at a restaurant, a hotel, B & B, or a hall
- at the Kingston Unitarian Fellowship. (See Facilities for more information on room rental at KUF.)
We welcome your enquiries. Visit our Chaplains page for information on how to contact our chaplains. Or, leave a message at613-544-8777.
Resources and Links
Lay Chaplains will provide you with choices of wording and readings for services, and also recommend the following web sites for ideas:
- First Unitarian Congregation Weddings
- Wedding Ceremony Booklet (from the First Unitarian Congregation of Ottawa).
Also check out Kingston Wedding Officiants.