Employment Opportunity at KUF
Kingston Unitarian Fellowship (KUF) is a welcoming, growing, lively, and theologically diverse congregation of approximately 120 adults and 30 children, youth, and senior youth. We are seeking a Part-Time Lifespan Religious Exploration Coordinator to assist with development and community implementation of religious exploration programs for toddlers, children, Jr. Youth, Sr. Youth, and Adults.
The mission of the Kingston Unitarian Fellowship is for all those in the Kingston area who support Unitarian Universalist principles to join together in a caring community for the development of spiritual and personal growth, in a welcoming environment where all are respected and diversity is celebrated, as we strive to make our world a better place through our actions.
In partnership with the Religious Exploration (RE) Committee and the minister, the Lifespan Religious Exploration Coordinator (REC) organizes and assists the community with implementation of faith formation programs. The REC works with the RE Committee and the minister to develop the children’s ministry, provides leadership and training to volunteers, and helps foster a safe, caring, cooperative culture in the congregation. The REC will be an important part of finding tangible ways to translate the congregation’s values and goals into an engaging RE program.
We seek a skilled and collaborative person with the ability to organize and inspire volunteers, a passion for helping participants grow spiritually, and assisting new families to integrate into the life of the congregation. At the moment the RE program includes:
- Sunday Services, including inter-generational services (~4/year);
- Sunday RE programming;
- our annual retreat at Unirondack;
- social justice initiatives;
- Our Whole Lives (OWL) lifespan sexuality education;
- and special events as needed.
The Lifespan Religious Exploration Coordinator (REC) reports to and is supervised by the minister, or in the event of an extended absence of the minister an appointed interim supervisor, and works in collaboration with the Religious Exploration (RE) Committee. The REC coordinates, inspires, and trains RE instructors, assistant instructors, child care workers, and volunteers in collaboration with the RE Committee.
- Assist the RE Committee with coordination and implementation of RE programs (ages 0-17);
- Assist the minister with coordination and implementation of adult RE programs (18+);
- Recruiting, screening, training, and scheduling RE volunteers;
- Scheduling and monitoring of child care employees;
- Creating and maintaining processes that ensure adequate volunteer and/or staff support for programming;
- Assisting the RE Committee in choosing curricula;
- Overseeing implementation of curricula per collaborations with the RE committee;
- Teaching or co-teaching RE programs when a congregation member is not available;
- Offering a Time for All Ages occasionally in order to increase visibility of RE program;
- Connecting in-person with parents, children, youth, and the congregation at large, as well as welcoming new families throughout the year, to provide RE information, networking, etc.;
- Attending staff (weekly as needed) and RE Committee (monthly) meetings in person or via phone, Zoom, or other electronic media;
- Assist the RE Committee with monitoring the RE budget as well as maintaining all Budgetary and administrative records (registration, attendance, etc.) with training by the RE committee;
- Maintaining RE resources, supplies, and equipment.
- In partnership with the RE Committee, promoting and publicizing the RE program through the newsletter, the RE brochure, e-mail, website, social media, and other means of communication;
- Assist with maintenance and use of KUF social media presence specific to RE programs;
- In partnership with the RE Committee and the minister, advocating on behalf of the Children, youth, families, and adult members at KUF to help build a culture supportive of all ages;
- Provide an end-of-year annual report in late spring to supplement the RE committee report to the congregation;
- In partnership with the RE Committee works with the minister and other committees to integrate the RE program into the life of the congregation.
- Is welcome to become a member of and maintain membership in the Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA);
- Utilizing occasional professional development opportunities through religious education training, district and area religious education conferences, connecting with other congregations in the region, keeping current on CUC and UUA educational resources, and workshops as schedule allows and pending funding approval from the Board.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The successful applicant must be:
- self-motivated and highly organized;
- have an understanding of or interest in Unitarian Universalist religious education;
- have strong written and oral communication skills;
- demonstrate working effectively with children/youth, parents, leadership, and committees;
- have experience or interest in a field related to education, preferably religious education;
- demonstrated relational, organizational, administrative, communication, and volunteer management skills;
- comfortable with a wide variety of religious views and encouraging of acceptance of others and plural worldviews;
- able to work from personal initiative to encourage and inspire others
- and will preferably have completed some community college or university education.
Our open concept RE space is on the 1st floor of our building and is wheelchair accessible. Our Main Hall is on the 2nd floor of our space and that, plus our basement level, are wheelchair accessible via elevator.
Compensation and Hours:
Compensation commensurate with experience, 16-20 hours/week TBD, 46 weeks/year, plus 4% vacation pay and employer portion of CPP and EI.
Please send letter of interest, resume, and 3 references to Rev. Coppola via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail to
Kingston Unitarian Fellowship, Rev. Rebecca Coppola,
206 Concession St. Kingston ON K7K 2B5.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates must have a valid work visa in Canada or be a Canadian citizen. Candidates from all ethnic and racial backgrounds, gender identities, and sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.